Palacio da Bolsa
The Palace was built in 1842 from the ruins of the former S. Francisco Convent, which were donated to the Porto Trade Association by Her Majesty, Queen D. Maria II.
It is presently the Association’s headquarters and was once the Court of Commerce.
Palacio da bolsa Porto Later, it became the Porto Commodities and Stock Exchange, thus giving origin to the Palace’s name.
This edifice is located in the city’s historical centre, which is recognized by UNESCO as World Heritage.
It is a fine specimen of the liberal bourgeoisie of Porto, and its neoclassical façade veils a grand building, which took over sixty years to build and where various architectural and decorative styles blend together.
Palacio da bolsa Porto It is this building that is depicted in the following pages.
It is a jewel that opens its doors to Oporto, becoming the city’s main reception room to welcome visitors, from anonymous individuals to the most illustrious statesmen and monarchs.
Palacio da bolsa does not limit itself to being a mere historical location; it is also the headquarters of an institution, which remains alive, active and participative. This is also a temple of noble ideas.
Palacio da bolsa Porto evokes a glorious past, immortalized in artistic and symbolic value.
It is the spitting image of its own character, which makes it one of the most noteworthy monuments of the 19th Century architecture in Porto and a mandatory stop for all those who visit the mui noble unconquered city.
All the areas of the Palacio da Bolsa are authentic works of art, with undisputed prominence as a worthy representative of the city of Oporto.
In the Palace’s interior, in addition to the grand architectural design of the Hall of Nations and the famous Arab Room, the following are among noteworthy attractions:
The furniture’s symbolic meaning and its aesthetic originality; the decorative stucco’s’ intricate detail; the masterful detail of the wooden inlaid floors; the coat of arms and heraldic representations; finely sculpted statues; an immense profusion of gigantic oil paintings and frescos by the great Portuguese masters.
The Palacio da bolsa Arabian room is unique and exclusive.
This is because of its unusual richness and undisputed symbolism.
It is recognized as the jewel in the crown and the most emblematic of all the Palace’s rooms, embodying the clearest expression of neo-Moorish art in Portugal.
Its construction began in 1862, as a result of symbiosis between an interpretation of Arabian ornament grammar and the fertile imagination of the engineer/architect, Gustavo Adolpho Gonçalves e Sousa. It was only completed in 1880 and inaugurated on the 12th June of the same year.
This luxurious room was inspired by the Palace of Alhambra in Granada.
Palacio da bolsa Many also refer to it as stately because of the evident signs of abundance and opulence.
This invokes fascination, a feeling of splendor and bedazzlement in those who visit this room.